We are very proud to be part of this very great project!
Update: The new Catalog and the App 2014 are now available in Germany!
Amazing media coverage!
- Mashable: Virtually Furnish a Room With IKEA’s Augmented Reality Catalog
- Business Insider: Ikea’s Augmented Reality Catalog Lets You Virtually Demo Its Furniture In Your Living Room
- Inhabitat: IKEA’s Augmented Reality 2014 Catalog Lets You Preview Products in Your Apartment!
““Our customers want to be able to test out whether the products they’ve been inspired by in our catalog will work in their own homes – particularly when it comes to larger pieces of furniture. Offering a way of using mobile technology to enable to test products means the technology has a practical purpose and really helps customers visualize the way their homes could look.” says Peter Wright, Country Marketing Manager, IKEA UK and Ireland.
With the help of cutting-edge software, IKEA is looking to make interior decorating more fun, efficient, and less wasteful. By cutting down on returns, the company can potentially save money and energy in shipping and production costs. Sadly, you still have to go to the store in person to visit the cafeteria.”
(Quote taken from Inhabitant.com)
- 2d code: Useful Augmented Reality
“By any measure IKEA is an innovative brand and when they team up with Metaio, one of the leading Augmented Reality(AR) technology companies something interesting is bound to happen.
The 2014 IKEA Catalogue app for Android and iOS will let you place, move and share over 100 pieces of furniture in 3D AR. IKEA’s internal research showed that 14% of their customers have in the past purchased furniture of the wrong size and 70% do not know the size of their own rooms. Hence the app was created to allow consumers to visualize the size, shape, colour and positioning in situ (video below). At its worst an AR app that allows customers to see how IKEA’s products would fit into their own homes should reduce the returns of ill-fitting furniture and at best it could provide a significant increase in online sales.”
(Quote taken from 2dcode.co.uk)
- The Independant:
- Engadget: Ikea’s 2014 Catalog app lets you arrange virtual furniture in your living room via augmented reality
- t3: IKEA unveils augmented reality app
- Geek.com: Ikea launches augmented reality app to let you virtually furnish a room
- Fast Company: Ikea’s New Catalog Magically Transforms Into Furniture
“Ikea has developed a killer app for AR”
(Quote taken from fastcodesign.com)
Further articles on the Augmentedblog:
- Ikea’s new augmented reality app lets you preview digital furniture in your physical house
- IKEA 2014 Catalog Has Augmented Reality [Part II]