October 5, 2014
Submit your best 3D model!
3D Printing is a hot topic these days, and over here at Metaio we are big fans of the technology. Since Augmented Reality is heavily tied to 3D, we can’t help but get excited when digital 3D modelling and printing gets thrown into the mix. This is why when 3D model & printing site Pinshape approached us to support their latest competition we jumped at the chance. We’ll be awarding a free Creator license to the winner, and that’s on top of other great prizes like the newest Kast 3D printer, six months of Loot Crates and more! How do you participate in this exciting competition? See below:
Seeing as Halloween is almost upon us, the theme for this competition is – you guessed it – spooky creatures. To enter, just upload your own 3D creation (it can’t be one already on Pinshape) fitting the creatures theme, and check the box saying “Submit this model to the Creature Design Contest.” Once your design is entered make sure to share it on your social accounts get people voting for it! The designs with the most likes (top 10%) will be put into the final evaluation round. Once your design reaches the final evaluation round, judges will evaluate the entries based on:
- Design: Overall quality, novelty, innovation, detail.
- Ease of Printing: Compatibility with the Kast 3D Printer, description of settings needed to print included and accurate.
- Presentation: Design description (What is it? What is the backstory? What inspired it?), high quality design pictures (Get bonus points for including photos of real printed items!), inclusion of tags.
- Entries must be submitted before 23:59:59 PST, October 31, 2014
- Entries cannot have been previously submitted to Pinshape
- Entries must comply with Pinshape’s content policy
- Entrants must be registered with Pinshape to enter
- There is no fee to enter the challenge
- Entrants can submit as many unique entries as they would like
- Object must be deemed 3D printable by Pinshape
- Design should fit in 20cm x 15.4cm x 30cm (X,Y,Z) build area
- Contest open worldwide
So what are you waiting for? Get creating and enter the competition now!
As we lead up to the competition deadline, don’t forget to join our special edition webinar featuring Pinshape which will cover not only how to use AR to preview your 3D models, but how to augment them once printed too! The webinar takes place on October 23rd. Learn more at: http://dev.metaio.com/webinars/.
December 9, 2011
We are pretty darn excited.
Back in September, CEO Dr. Thomas Alt announced that we’d be releasing a free version of the metaio Mobile Software Development Kit (SDK) in an effort to both ensure and encourage the massive development and adoption of mobile augmented reality by 2014.
In that time, we researched and developed like crazy to make sure that our software would be the most advanced mobile solution available. We implemented Gravity Aware Feature Descriptors, a patented technology that makes image recognition and tracking faster and more robust. We benchmarked our technology by winning the 2011 ISMAR Tracking Competition. We integrated Unity3D for hardcore game developers and designers. And most importantly, we embarked on collaborative research partnerships with chipset providers like ARM, ST-Ericcson, and Texas Instruments. It’s been a busy fall.
As a result, we have for the entire mobile development community a powerful, advanced and industry-proven SDK, free of cost right from the start, with unlimited app-deployments for iOS and Android. A built-in advanced 3D rendering engine means you can start developing immediately. And it’s not a watered-down piece of shareware- this 3D rendering engine has been used in over 70 professional mobile apps, including our Augmented City demo.
This is the same software that has driven over 10 million downloads and enables millions of magazines delivered every month with mobile AR content.
We’re either completely crazy- or very, very passionate about what we do. Maybe it’s a little bit of both.
Read the press release.
Download the SDK.
October 10, 2011
metaio is pleased to announce that the latest version of our Design software is now available for download.
Once again, AR is neither a sci-fi fantasy nor something limited to gimmicky one-off applications. Our design software enables anyone with a Windows PC to produce rich, interactive content. Our clients and partners use Design in trade shows, integrated marketing campaigns, classrooms, commercial applications, internal demonstrations and much more.
If you’re not already familiar with Design, you may have heard about our wonderful project with LEGO, now deployed in every LEGO-branded store in the world.
For the new 2.5 update we’ve rolled out the following updates:
- New features:
- Facetracking: for tracking a users face and overlaying3D content (e.g. hats, glasses etc.)
- Extensible tracking: for tracking in unknown environments the system automatically creates and updates an internal map of features for tracking based on the camera image. This allows you to move around freely with your camera and the system adjusts on the fly.
- Markerless tracking: Improved performance and stability
- Licensing: Licenses can be moved to another PC (only full version)
- Uses new version of BsContact renderer (22.214.171.124). For a list of features see the release notes on the Bitmanagement website.
- Several bugfixes for Unifeye and the Workflow Authority GUI
For more information, please see our web store and our extensive documentation on all of our software.
A Design license (post-activation) is bound to the user’s PC, so moving / transferring the license is not allowed. There are however cases where a user would need to transfer a license, such as when uploading to a new machine. Starting with Design 2.5, license holders will have the ability to transfer their licenses twice.
To send a request or purchase a license dongle, contact sales (at) metaio (dot) com.
To transfer your license, go here. Enter your activation key and click Get Licenses.